Garden and Gun, my favorite magazine, shares a clever list of why we love Downton Abbey.
January 3, 2013
If you read G&G, chances are you’re a fan of Downton Abbey. The series is tailored for a Southern audience–fabulous interiors, beautiful hunt scenes, and a love of land that strikes a chord with us here in Dixie. In honor of season three's premiere this Sunday night on PBS, we've put together our top ten reasons for loving the show, below.
1. They drink a lot, but never have to drive anywhere.
2. Lord Grantham makes the women at G&G weak in the knees, especially when he does his "custodian of the land" shpeel.
3. We like to look good when we hunt, too, whether it's top hat and riding jacket or neon orange and camouflage.
4. They love their dogs as much as we do. If only ours never had to go to the bathroom…or made any noise whatsoever.
5. They call a valet with a limp and a criminal record “eccentric”. We call it Southern gothic.
6. Lady Mary is like a British Scarlett O’Hara: beautiful, spoiled and determined. Let's just hope she leaves the drapery on the windows.
7. Carson's pride of place is rivaled only by that of a Southern hostess.
8. We’ve loved Shirley MacLaine ever since her tomato-loving turn as Ouiser in Steel Magnolias. #honorarysoutherner
9. We’ve all got a Dowager Countess in our lives, whether it's our mother or mother-in-law—manipulative, tough as nails, and always ready with a one-liner.
10. No one loves—or plans—a wedding like we do in the South. Crawley/Crawley 2013, (err 1921?) people. Koozies on order.